Did You Get Wood on Friday Night?!
Friday night at Star Bar was their Wood & Barrel Aged Beer Party, yet another great event for American Craft Beer Week. What am amazing lineup of beers:
- Great Divide 18th Anniversary Ale
- Great Divide Belgian Yeti – Aged in Leopold Brothers American Small Batch Whiskey Barrel
- Oskar Blues G’Knight – Aged in Leopold Brothers New York Apple Whiskey Barrel
- New Belgium Tart Lychee
- New Belgium Vrienden
- Crooked Stave – Petite Sour
- Odell Shenanigans
- Odell Saboteur
- Fort Collins Brewery – Oak Aged Maibock
- Boulevard – Rye on Rye
- Firestone Walker – Parabola
- Dogfish Head – Noble Rot
- Dogfish Head – Black and Blue
I tried three of the above, and there was one clear standout: Oskar Blues G’Knight aged in Leopold Bros. New York Apple Whiskey Barrels (pictured below, on right). That was one of the best beers I’ve had in a long time. And I drink lots of beers. I need to have year-round access to that one…I’m getting thirsty just thinking about it.
I also had Odell Shenanigans, an Oak Aged Crimson Ale. It was alright, but nothing special in my opinion. And Firestone Walker‘s Parabola, a Russian Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout (pictured above, on left)t. One of my favorite beers is Firestone Walker’s Double Jack IPA. And, like the Double Jack, the Parabola was big on flavor. I count myself lucky to have tried it, as it seems to have very limited availability.
If you are a lover of wood and barrel aged beers, this was the event for you. Did you get wood? I did, and I sure enjoyed it.