Best in Show: The Standouts of GABF 2013
This year I entered the hall of the Great American Beer Festival at approximately 5:45, ready to try as many of the beers/breweries on my list as I possibly could before 10 p.m. It’s always a fun challenge, and I did stop by a majority of the booths I’d hoped to. However, four hours just isn’t enough time to taste the hundreds of beers I wish I could. I tried my best, and I had a lot of great stuff. So, of all the beers I tasted that evening, here are some of the ones that really stuck out to me:
- Propitation Barrel Aged Sour Porter (sour porter?!?!) by Russian River
- The Martians Kidnap Santa Egg Nog Stout (so unique!), and Big Gruesome Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout (this was on my list last year as well) by Spring House Brewing (this brewery is excellent)
- Hoponious Union IPL by Jack’s Abby Brewing
- Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale: Bourbon Barrel and Rum Barrel Aged by Cigar City Brewing
- St. Dekkera Reserve Sour Raspberry/Strawberry Ale by DESTIHL
- Thensaurum Barrel Aged Sour by Avery Brewing Co.
- Double Rice IPA (this was on my list last year too) by Kuhnhenn Brewing Co.
- Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter (makes my list for the third year in a row!) by Willoughby Brewing Co.
- Sour in the Rye with Peaches by The Bruery
- Burton Snatch IPA, and Supremely Self-Conscious Ale (a nice session beer at 3.5% ABV) by Stone Brewing Co. (Did you get a chance to read my exclusive interview with Greg Koch? I had the pleasure of meeting him while he was here for GABF).
I truly enjoyed the opportunity to try dozens of beers that I’m unable to obtain in Colorado. Though sometimes it’s a bit difficult when I find something I love and know I can’t get my hands on it! But I’m grateful for all of the wonderful experiences I had at GABF, yet again. And I’m already looking forward to next October.